Help Desk FAQ: Resources + Tips for Finding Grants
One of the most common questions we receive from nonprofits is how to find grant funding for their organization. We reached out to our friends at the Maine Philanthropy Center (MPC) to pull together some ideas to help organizations get started.
If you are new to grant research, we suggest you start with an MPC Grant Tutorial. These sessions are designed to familiarize you with the landscape of foundation giving in Maine and walk you through the basics of researching high-quality prospective funders for your work. Instructions on how to use both the Directory of Maine Grantmakers and Candid’s Foundation Directory Online are included in these tutorials.
Specific Research Tools for Grantseekers
- Directory of Maine Grantmakers: The Directory, available in both print and online versions, contains up-to-date profiles of approximately 400 grantmaking foundations that have a history of supporting Maine nonprofits. The print edition is available for purchase and the digital edition is free for all MPC members.
- GrantStation: An online advanced searchable database of over 7000 active funding sources. MANP members can purchase a discounted subscription to this grantseeking tool for $95 (the regular price is $699).
- Foundation Directory Online Essential: MPC offers free access to FDO Essential, a searchable national database of grantmaker profiles which includes access to 990s, by in-person appointment only. Free access to Foundation Directory Online is made possible through Maine Philanthropy Center’s Funding Information Network partnership with Candid.
- Keep an eye out in MPC and MANP communications for updates on funding opportunities. MPC regularly sends out a newsletter to its members with upcoming grant deadlines and opportunities and posts them on their website as well. MANP shares grant opportunities in its weekly newsletter to members and nonmembers and through its social media accounts.
Resources for Grant Writing
- Grantseeker’s Primer: MPC has developed “The Grantseeker’s Primer” which includes information about beginning and continuing a search for funders, including ways to think about your organization and how to begin a funder prospect search. Additional resources on grantseeking are regularly updated on MPC’s Grant Research Resource Page.
- Self-Paced, On Demand Grant Writing Courses: MANP’s partner, MindEdge, offers beginner grant writing and advanced grant writing courses (or you can purchase them together to save). MANP members receive 10% off these courses. Contact MANP at email@example.com for the discount code. Plus, keep an eye on MPC’s calendar and MANP’s calendar for upcoming live grantseeking trainings!
- Grant Writing Consultants: If your organization is interested in hiring outside support, MPC’s Member Listings and the MANP Business Finder include consultants offering grant prospect research, grant writing, and grant management services.
Interested in taking advantage of more resources and programs like these? Learn more about joining MPC here and MANP here. Reduced cost nonprofit memberships are available at both organizations.