Get on Board
Nonprofit boards are legally and strategically central to the work of nonprofits. To adapt and thrive in a fast-changing world, nonprofits need engaged and purpose-driven boards.
We encourage boards to ask:
- What's our purpose? What’s the change we want to make in the world?
- Whose voices are needed? How do we attract and engage people with diverse skills, knowledge, and viewpoints?
- What are our roles and responsibilities? Are we providing effective oversight and strategic direction to be accountable to our community?
- How do we work together? Are we building a culture of trust, inquiry, and respect? What values and practices foster inclusive dialogue, decision-making, and mission impact?
MANP offers a wide variety of programs and services!
- Our Board Basics Handbook has an overview of board roles and responsibilities along with suggested board activities. Free for members. (Non-members may purchase this electronic guide.)
- Board Roles + Responsibilities webinars are offered several times annually and we regularly host dynamic speakers from across the country on governance topics, including the role of the board chair, the board’s role in fundraising, financial management for boards, and the board chair/executive director relationship. Watch our event listings! Member discounts.
- Board Explorer - connecting individuals interested in serving on a board and organizations looking for new perspectives and talents. Free for members.
- Strategic Board Recruitment Toolkit (videos + templates) and Keys to Board Recruitment handbook (electronic publication). Free for members. Non-members may purchase these electronic tools.
- Curated resources on board recruitment and orientation. Free for all!
- Sounding Board - Virtual coaching sessions that pair nonprofit members with thought partners who have experience and insights related to nonprofit boards. Free for members.
- Board Self-Assessment - Conducting a regular board self-assessment can be a helpful way to check your board’s vital signs and identify areas for development. Member discount.
- We collect resources on the board's role in advancing equity to provide food for thought and practical suggestions. Free for all!
- We regularly partner with state associations across the country to offer webinars on board diversity, inclusion and equitable practices (check event listings). Member discounts.
- Find board development consultants and coaches in our Business Finder Directory.
Interested in Board Service?
Nonprofit board or committee service can be a rewarding way to invest in your community, meet incredible people, build new skills and boost your resume, but, where do you start?
- Board Explorer is a service designed to facilitate connections between individuals interested in serving on a board and organizations looking to enhance their boards with new perspectives and talents. Check it out!
- “All Aboard” sessions are a great first step – check event listings for upcoming dates. Companies can also invite MANP to deliver a private lunch and learn for their staff. Reach out to us at Learn@NonprofitMaine.org to discuss options.