Get on Board
Nonprofit boards are legally and strategically central to the work of nonprofits. To adapt and thrive in a fast-changing world, nonprofits need engaged and purpose-driven boards.
Through a range of programs and services, MANP supports boards to explore for themselves:
What's our purpose?
How do we work together?
What's our role?
Who is at the table?
Key Programs + Services
Training on Roles, Responsibilities + Relationships
- MANP offers training in several formats, including our one-hour Board Roles + Responsibilities webinars offered several times annually.
- MANP regularly schedules programs with dynamic speakers from across the country on governance topics, including the role of the board chair, the board’s role in fundraising, financial management for boards, and the board chair/executive director relationship.
- Watch our event listings!
Tools for Board Recruitment
- Board Explorer is a free tool facilitating connections between individuals interested in serving on a board and organizations looking to enhance their boards with new perspectives and talents.
- Members have free access to our Strategic Board Recruitment Toolkit (videos + templates) and Keys to Board Recruitment handbook (electronic publication)
- Note: Non-members may purchase these electronic tools.
- We curate resources on board recruitment and orientation to help boards design an effective, inclusive recruitment strategy and process.
Board Development Resources + Coaching
- Sounding Board: MANP offers free, virtual coaching sessions that pair nonprofit members with thought partners who have experience and insights related to nonprofit boards.
- We collect resources on the board's role in advancing equity to provide food for thought and practical suggestions.
- We regularly partner with state associations across the country to offer trainings related to board diversity, inclusion and equitable practice (check event listings).
- Board Self-Assessment: Conducting a regular board self-assessment is an important way to check your board’s vital signs and identify areas for development.
- Board Basics Handbook: Members have free access to this electronic publication provides an overview of board roles and responsibilities along with suggested board activities.
- Note: Non-members may purchase this electronic guide.
Interested in Board Service?
Nonprofit board or committee service can be a rewarding way to invest in your community, meet incredible people, build new skills and boost your resume, but, where do you start?
- Board Explorer is a service designed to facilitate connections between individuals interested in serving on a board and organizations looking to enhance their boards with new perspectives and talents. Check it out!
- “All Aboard” sessions are a great first step – check event listings for upcoming dates. Companies can also invite MANP to deliver a private lunch and learn for their staff. Reach out to us at Learn@NonprofitMaine.org to discuss options.
- The Emerging Leaders Program is a more in-depth program for people under 40 interested in boosting their leadership skills, expanding their personal and professional networks, and applying their leadership on nonprofit committees or boards. Learn more.