Guides + Reports
Maine Nonprofit Compensation Report: Wages + Benefits
MANP conducts a compensation survey every two years to equip Maine nonprofits with reliable, local data to catalyze conversations, shape compensation strategies, and justify compensation levels to the public and the IRS.
The 2020 report is based on data collected from 339 Maine nonprofits submitted from July to September of 2020. While open to any 501(c) organization, the survey’s respondents were predominantly 501(c)3 public charities. These organizations employ more than 15,000 workers in total, and reported wages for 7,066 full-time and 324 part-time employees covered by the survey’s 32 job categories.
An additional 340 organizations from New Hampshire and Vermont participated in this regional effort, and the Maine report includes data from across northern New England in key sections.
Cost + Ordering
A full version of this electronic publication is available for purchase and the pricing is as follows:
|Survey participants*||Survey non-participants|
- Not sure if your organization is a member? Check our Member Directory.
- Member discounts are applied based on membership status at the time the order is placed.
- Survey participants have been emailed a code to use when placing their order to claim their additional discount. If you participated and did not receive the email or need assistance, please contact email@example.com.
- Survey participant can also get copies of the other partner states’ reports for just $15. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Members of NH Center for Nonprofits that did not participate in the survey can purchase the Maine report at the member rate. Contact the NH Center for Nonprofits to get connected.
You will need to log in to complete a purchase. For support with logging in, please email email@example.com.
Thank You to Our Partners + Sponsors
The 2020 survey and report is a joint effort with the NH Center for Nonprofits, CommonGood Vermont, and the UNH Survey Center. MANP members receive the member rate on the New Hampshire and Vermont editions of the report!
MANP is grateful for the generous sponsorship of the following:
Report Lead Sponsors
- 2018 Report – This report is based on data from 310 reporting Maine nonprofits that provided data on wages for 6,812 full-time and 294 part-time employees across 32 job categories during the spring and early summer of 2018. The report includes Maine-specific data as well as regional comparisons with our partners from New Hampshire and Vermont. Download the free 2018 Snapshot of Nonprofit Wages + Benefits in Maine. The full report is available for purchase: $50 for MANP members and $100 for non-members. Contact our Membership Manager for assistance with ordering a copy.
- 2016 Report – This report is based on data from 278 reporting Maine nonprofits who provided data on wages for 7,655 full-time and 274 part-time employees across 32 job categories during the spring and early summer of 2016. The report includes Maine-specific data as well as regional comparisons with our partners from New Hampshire and Vermont. Contact our Membership Manager for a copy.
- 2014 Report – This report is based on data from 408 reporting Maine nonprofits who provided data on wages for 8,816 full-time and 328 part-time employees across 32 job categories during the spring of 2014. The report includes Maine-specific data as well as regional comparisons with our partners from New Hampshire and Vermont. Contact our Membership Manager for a copy.
- 2012 Report Snapshot (2012 Job Descriptions for reference)
- 2010 Report Snapshot
- 2008 Report Snapshot
- 2006 Report Snapshot
- 2004 Report Snapshot
- 2003 Report Snapshot
Other Support for Setting Compensation
- Five Questions to Ask When Setting the Compensation Strategy You Need (MANP Blog)
- Four Biggest Mistakes People Make When Using Compensation Survey Data (MANP Blog)
- A Roundup of Compensation Surveys – Strengths + Weaknesses (MANP Blog)
- Tips for Developing a Values-Based Compensation Structure (TSNE MissionWorks)
- National Council of Nonprofits guidance on compensation for nonprofit employees generally and executive compensation specifically
- Benchmarking and Analyzing Salaries: A Fast How-To (Blue Avocado)
- Using Salary Surveys Effectively (Lynn Breckinridge, Breckinridge Consulting)
- Conducting a pay equity analysis (We All Count)
- Find more resources in our free, searchable Answer Center.