Maine Nonprofit Compensation Report: Wages + Benefits
We strive to provide reliable, objective salary and benefit data nonprofits can use to set appropriate pay and benefits for staff and new hires, and justify compensation levels to the public and the IRS.
2020 Survey on Nonprofit Wages + Benefits
MANP’s Survey of Nonprofit Wages + Benefits is now open!
- Talent Matters: People power our missions and to attract and retain talent nonprofits need to set competitive wages and benefits.
- Reliable + Relevant: Nonprofits must justify organizational compensation to their boards, the IRS, and the general public. This tool is the most relevant source of information available to help Maine nonprofits develop a competitive compensation strategy AND comply with IRS regulations requiring nonprofit boards to document their process for setting executive compensation.
- We’re Stronger Together: The more organizations that participate, the more relevant and statistically significant data available to ensure we all can develop fair, competitive compensation.
- Vital Sector Trends: Timely information about nonprofit staffing and compensation is perhaps more important than ever. This year, the survey will collect important data about the impacts of the pandemic on nonprofit staffing, wages and benefits, as well as look at executive director wages by race, gender and experience.
- We Reward Your Time: We know nonprofit staff and volunteers are busy people, so all participating organizations receive great discounts.
- Member organizations that participate receive free access to the final report.
- Non-member organizations that participate receive a 50% discount, a $125 value. Organizations can join MANP at any time before the report is published and will receive the discount. To check your member status visit our Member Directory.
- Organizations that participate in the survey for the first time will be entered into a raffle for a free MANP membership!
Take the 2020 Survey
- Determine who is the right person from your organization to respond to the survey. Each organization should only participate once, so please coordinate internally about the best person to complete the survey on behalf of your organization. You will be asked for the organization’s EIN to prevent accidental duplication.
- Download the 2020 Survey Instructions and Preparation Checklist and gather your data. Preparation time will vary based on the size of your organization.
- Complete the survey by August 21. Assuming you have gathered all the necessary information ahead of time, it should take approximately 15-30 minutes to complete the survey itself.
We’re providing technical assistance…
- by phone at (207) 871-1885. Please note that many of our staff are working remotely due to the pandemic. You may need to leave a message and we will respond ASAP.
- by email at email@example.com
2020 Report on Nonprofit Wages + Benefits
The full report is slated to be released by the end of the calendar year. This is an electronic and not a printed report. The pricing is as follows:
|Survey participants||Survey non-participants|
Not sure if your organization is a member? Check our Member Directory. (For the purposes of the discounts, membership status will be determined at the time of publication of the report.)
Thank You to Our Partners + Sponsors
- 2018 Report – This report is based on data from 310 reporting Maine nonprofits that provided data on wages for 6,812 full-time and 294 part-time employees across 32 job categories during the spring and early summer of 2018. The report includes Maine-specific data as well as regional comparisons with our partners from New Hampshire and Vermont.
- Download the free 2018 Snapshot of Nonprofit Wages + Benefits in Maine
- 2018 participants were sent a code to order their free or reduced fee copy and can contact our Membership Manager for assistance.
- Other organizations can order a copy of the 2018 report at a price of $50 for MANP members and $100 for non-members. Note: This is an electronic publication. After ordering, you will receive details about how to access your copy.
- The 2018 report is also available for review in a number of libraries around the state. Contact our Membership Manager to see if it is available at a library near you.
- 2016 Report – This report is based on data from 278 reporting Maine nonprofits who provided data on wages for 7,655 full-time and 274 part-time employees across 32 job categories during the spring and early summer of 2016. The report includes Maine-specific data as well as regional comparisons with our partners from New Hampshire and Vermont. Contact our Membership Manager for a copy.
- 2014 Report – This report is based on data from 408 reporting Maine nonprofits who provided data on wages for 8,816 full-time and 328 part-time employees across 32 job categories during the spring of 2014. The report includes Maine-specific data as well as regional comparisons with our partners from New Hampshire and Vermont. Contact our Membership Manager for a copy.
- 2012 Report Snapshot (2012 Job Descriptions for reference)
- 2010 Report Snapshot
- 2008 Report Snapshot
- 2006 Report Snapshot
- 2004 Report Snapshot
- 2003 Report Snapshot
Other Support for Setting Compensation
- National Council of Nonprofits guidance on compensation for nonprofit employees generally and executive compensation specifically
- Benchmarking and Analyzing Salaries: A Fast How-To, from Blue Avocado
- Tips for Developing a Values-Based Compensation Structure, from TSNE MissionWorks
- Using Salary Surveys Effectively, Lynn Breckinridge, Breckinridge Consulting. A more in-depth article about when and how to use salary surveys as a tool.
- Find more resources in our free, searchable Answer Center.