Nonprofits rely on passionate, thoughtful, committed board members to guide strategic direction, provide fiscal oversight, bring creative ideas, and make connections. Boards play a vital role, ensuring that organizations stay true to their purpose and are accountable to stakeholders and the general public.
A Persistent Challenge
Maine nonprofits consistently name board recruitment as a top challenge. On the flipside, many community members are interested in sharing their skills and perspectives and growing as leaders through board or committee service, but aren’t sure how to find an opportunity that is the right fit.
A Simple Solution
Through our Get on Board initiative, MANP is piloting Board Explorer, a new, free service to facilitate connections between individuals interested in serving on a board and organizations looking to enhance their boards/committees with new perspectives and talents.
Here’s How It Works
- MANP member organizations complete a questionnaire about mission focus, board structure and culture, and the skills and attributes sought. (Find all the questions here to help you prepare – you cannot save your form in progress.)
- Individuals complete this questionnaire about motivations, skills, experience and goals. (Find all the questions here to help you prepare – you cannot save your form in progress.)
- MANP staff are also happy to help you submit your information over the phone. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a time.
- Browse: Those who submit a questionnaire receive access to the results of the other list to browse.
- Connect: From there, organizations and individuals can identify potential matches and reach out to one another directly to discuss opportunities, assess fit, and formalize board placements.
- Repeat! New organizations and individuals sign up ongoing, so if you don’t see a clear match, check back regularly.
By submitting a form, both individuals and organizations are granting permission to be contacted about board service opportunities. No timeline or match is guaranteed in this process. It is up to organizations and individuals to discuss opportunities, assess fit and formalize any board placements. MANP reserves the right to remove an individual’s or organization’s information if it is not in alignment with the intention of this service.
Eligibility + Cost
- Nonprofits: This service is free and exclusively available to MANP member organizations.
- Individuals: This service is free to use and there are no experience requirements. (In lieu of a fee, donations to MANP’s Access Fund are very welcome!)
- Nonprofits: We encourage organizations to learn about MANP’s other governance training and resources, including these resources on building an equitable and inclusive board. our one-hour Board Roles + Responsibilities webinar (check event listings), and MANP’s web-based Strategic Board Recruitment toolkit.
- Individuals: To learn more about what it means to be on a board and how to assess opportunities, individuals are encouraged to check out MANP’s free So You Think You Want to Be on a Board sessions (check event listings) or MANP’s more in-depth Emerging Leaders program. We also recommend these Questions to Ask Before Joining a Board.
- Employers: Interested in supporting your employees to deepen their community engagement and build leadership skills? Host a lunch & learn about nonprofit board service! Contact Molly at email@example.com.
Questions? Need Assistance?
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 207-871-1885.