Nonprofits rely on passionate, thoughtful, committed board members to guide strategic direction, provide fiscal oversight, bring creative ideas, and make connections. Boards play a vital role, ensuring that organizations stay true to their purpose and are accountable to stakeholders and the general public.
A Persistent Challenge
Maine nonprofits consistently name board recruitment as a top challenge. On the flipside, many community members are interested in sharing their skills and perspectives and growing as leaders through board or committee service, but aren’t sure how to go about finding an opportunity that is the right fit.
A New Opportunity
Through our Get on Board initiative, MANP is piloting Board Explorer, a new service to facilitate connections between individuals interested in serving on a board and organizations looking to enhance their boards with new perspectives and talents.
- Nonprofits: This service is free and exclusively available to MANP member organizations. (Not sure if your organization is a member? Current members are listed in our directory. Learn more about nonprofit membership.)
- Individuals: Free! (In lieu of a fee, donations to MANP’s Access Fund are very welcome!)
How to Use Board Explorer
This service is new in Summer 2021 and we are actively building our lists of nonprofit boards that are recruiting and individuals seeking board service!
MANP Member Nonprofits
- Complete this Board Opportunity Questionnaire. This form asks questions about mission focus, board structure and culture, and the skills and attributes sought (find all the questions here to help you prepare – you cannot save your form in progress.) MANP staff are also happy to help you submit your information over the phone. Contact Molly at email@example.com to set up a time.
- After submitting the form, you will receive a confirmation email with a link to a list of individuals who have expressed interest in board service.
- Browse the list and reach out to prospects who seem aligned with your recruitment goals! If you don’t see individuals on the list, check back in a few weeks – new individuals will be added ongoing!
- Complete the Individual Board Interest Questionnaire. This form asks for information about motivations, skills, experience and goals (find all the questions here to help you prepare – you cannot save your form in progress.) MANP staff are also happy to help you submit your information over the phone. Contact Molly at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a time.
- After submitting the form, you will receive a confirmation email with a link to a list of organizations that are recruiting.
- Browse the list and reach out to nonprofits that spark your interest. (Here are some questions to consider asking potential matches.)
- If you don’t see options that align with your goals and interests, check back regularly – new organizations are signing up each week.
By submitting a form, both individuals and organizations are granting permission to be contacted about board service opportunities. No timeline or match is guaranteed in this process. It is up to organizations and individuals to discuss opportunities, assess fit and formalize any board placements. MANP reserves the right to remove an individual’s or organization’s information if it is not in alignment with the intention of this service.
- Nonprofits: We encourage organizations to learn about MANP’s other governance training, including our one-hour Board Roles + Responsibilities webinar (check event listings), to take advantage of MANP’s web-based Strategic Board Recruitment toolkit, and to review these resources on building an equitable and inclusive board.
- Individuals: To learn more about what it means to be on a board and how to assess opportunities, individuals are encouraged to check out MANP’s free So You Think You Want to Be on a Board sessions (check event listings) or MANP’s more in-depth Emerging Leaders program.
- Employers: Interested in supporting your employees to deepen their community engagement and build leadership skills? Host a lunch & learn about nonprofit board service! Contact Molly at email@example.com.
Questions? Need Assistance?
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 207-871-1885.