COVID-19 Vaccine Access + Vaccine Policies
As employers and as organizations that provide services and programs to the public, nonprofit organizations are grappling with how to create a safe environment for staff and volunteers during the ongoing COVID-19 crisis. Vaccines are one piece of that puzzle, and the following resources can help nonprofits determine an appropriate path for their particular organization.
As trusted entities in the community, nonprofits can play an important role in amplifying public health guidance and encourage their stakeholders to get vaccinated.
- All Mainers aged 12+ are eligible to get a COVID-19 vaccine. This searchable website lists 200 vaccine sites across the state. If you need further assistance, call 1-888-445-4111.
- If your nonprofit is hosting a vaccine clinic, tag us on social @MaineNonprofits and we will happily amplify your work!
- Communicating About Vaccination in the United States: A FrameWorks Strategic Brief, FrameWorks Institute, Sept. 7, 2021.
- Civis Analytics’ COVID-19 vaccine campaign toolkit
- Recording of “How every nonprofit can help the communities we serve get vaccinated”
- The National Forum on COVID-19 Vaccine has a variety of materials and resources, including information on:
Can you require employees to be vaccinated? Can you ask about vaccination status? The following resources answer these common questions and offer additional things for organizations to consider.
- Help Desk FAQ: Can Nonprofits Require COVID-19 Vaccines? (MANP Blog)
- Talking To Your Employees About the New Vaccine Mandate (relevant to nonprofits that contractor with the Federal Government)
- Recorded Webinar: Vaccinations and the Workplace: Questions in the Time of COVID-19, co-hosted by Maine Public Health Association and MANP with attorney Anne-Marie Story of Rudman Winchell and Dr. Stephen Sears of Maine CDC. June 9, 2021.
- Ask Rita: How Do I Navigate Requests for Religious Exemptions from a Requirement to Receive the Covid-19 Vaccine? (Blue Avocado)
- COVID-19 Vaccination Policy Recommendations (TSNE MissionWorks)
- How to craft a COVID-19 employee vaccine policy (Mainebiz, authored by attorneys from Brann & Isaacson)
- COVID-19 Vaccine Mandates: Policies, Procedures, and Unemployment (Equifax)
- Reopening After COVID-19: What Nonprofits Need to Know About Reasonable Accommodation of Employees With Disabilities (Blue Avocado)
- HIPAA Issues Can Arise with COVID-19 Vaccinations
- COVID-19 Vaccines: Seven Questions for Employers (JDSupra)
- Washington Post addresses employee FAQs
- Consider These Steps When Asking Employees About Vaccination Status (SRHM)
- Sample Vaccine requirement policy (from National Council of Nonprofits)
- Sample Mandatory Vaccine Policy (Fisher Phillips)
- Sample Non-Mandatory Vaccine Policy (Fisher Phillips)
- Sample Vaccine Mandate Religious Exemption/Accommodation Form (Fisher Phillips)
- Sample Vaccine Mandate Request for Medical Exemption/Accommodation (Fisher Phillips)