Maine Economic Recovery Grant Program: Phase Two
On September 21st, 2020, the Governor announced Phase Two of the Maine Economic Recovery Grant Program. This second round of funding makes available $95 million from the CARES Act Coronavirus Relief Fund. Applications will be accepted from September 23rd, 2020 to October 29th, 2020 (please note the new extended deadline).
See DECD’s chart for an overview of eligibility for each phase.
In this second phase, eligibility has been expanded to include:
- Organizations with up to 250 Full Time Equivalent employees (FTEs)
- Licensed childcare and behavioral health organizations
- $5 Million of the total $95 million has been set aside for businesses and organizations that are less than a year old
The following eligibility requirements were carried over from Phase One:
- A 20% operating loss still needs to be demonstrated.
- Organizations that do not file a 990 or 990-EZ are still ineligible.
- 501(c)(4) and 501(c)(6) organizations are still ineligible.
- Restricted gifts are still counted on the days they come in versus when the funds can be spent.
- You will still need a DUNS number. Don’t leave this until the last minute as it can take several days. See the FAQs for more information.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online and the portal will be open from September 23rd, 2020 to October 29th, 2020. Visit the Department of Economic and Community’s website. If an organization applied in Phase One and did not receive funding, they may apply again in Phase Two if they believe they meet the eligibility requirements (organizations should hear about Phase One prior to the application deadline of Phase Two.)
Update on Phase One
The Department of Economic and Community Development awarded Phase One funding in mid-October.
- 257 of the 2,329 awards went to nonprofits.
- The average grant was about $45,000,
Additional information about the program can be found on the Department of Economic and Community’s website.
- The Department of Economic and Community Development’s Commissioner Heather Johnson and Business Development Manager Jonathan Poole offered informational webinars on Phase II of the Economic Recovery Grant Program. Recording from September 23rd session. Recording from September 24th session.
- Organizations in several regions are offering support. If we learn of others, we will update this list.
- Androscoggin, Franklin and Northern Oxford counties: Androscoggin Valley Council of Governments – Dina Jackson, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sagadahoc, Lincoln and Knox counties (plus Harpswell, Brunswick and Lincolnville): MidCoast Economic Development District – Brian Dancause, email@example.com, 207-443-5790
- Aroostook and Washington counties: Northern Maine Development Commission – Robert Clark, firstname.lastname@example.org, 207-493-5762
- Franklin county: Greater Franklin Development Council – email@example.com
- Penobscot, Piscataquis, Hancock, and most of Waldo counties: Eastern Maine Development Corporation – Ryan Grindle, RGrindle@emdc.org, 207-974-3247 or Cody Gilks, CGilks@emdc.org, 207-974-3216
- MANP will also be compiling questions and sharing answers out as we learn them. To submit a question, please complete the form below.