It's the most wonderful time of the year!
It happened again. It seems like it was just back-to-school sales, pumpkin spice lattes and fall foliage and then BOOM, before you knew it we’re already counting down to the holiday season and making plans for 2016. For most nonprofits, that means concentrating on end of year appeals and your annual filing requirements. (FUN!!!)
There is one more thing we think you should add to your list (if it isn’t there already)…Giving Tuesday!
We have a day for giving thanks. We have two for getting deals. Now, we have #GivingTuesday, a global day dedicated to giving back. On Tuesday, December 1, 2015, charities, families, businesses, community centers, and students around the world will come together for one common purpose: to celebrate generosity and to give.
It’s a simple idea. Just find a way for your family, your community, your company or your organization to come together to give something more. Then tell everyone you can about how you are giving. Join us and be a part of a global celebration of a new tradition of generosity.
If you haven’t started planning yet, it’s not too late. With just a small effort, you can help amplify the message of celebrating and encouraging giving. Your organization should absolutely be one of the many diverse partners (nonprofits, civic organizations, businesses and corporations, as well as families and individuals) that have made #GivingTuesday a global success.
So in the next 28 days, what can you do?
Here are five quick and easy ways (promise!) to get involved with #GivingTuesday:
- Go to the official #GivingTuesday website and sign up as a partner. You’ll receive updates, event invitations and the latest graphics and tools to share. (See how easy that was?!)
- Determine what your goals and metrics for success for the next 28 days will be. From a simple campaign on social media and email to an integrated effort using all channels to reach your prospective donors, your program can match your capacity and resources. You could even get everyone in your office to post an #unselfie!
- Use the hashtag #GivingTuesday on your social media accounts whenever you share something related to your lead up to December 1. Every post, tweet, snap, ‘gram should be hashtagged. #GivingTuesday is about community and momentum and each post helps build that energy.
- Get inspired by the vast number of resources that are out there. There are toolkits, images and graphics, newsletters, and webinars. But don’t try to review them all, there’s too much available. Just remind yourself what you decided in the second step above and only look at resources that will help you achieve those goals.
- Pledge to do more next year. #GivingTuesday is so much more than one day in December. For instance, you can give a certain amount every month to a charity, pledge to volunteer every month, or launch a payroll giving program to continue to give back after December. (Or even just pledge to start your campaign earlier than one month out?!)
Anyone, anywhere can get involved in #GivingTuesday and give back in a way that is meaningful to them. If you have time to scroll through your Facebook newsfeed, you have time to participate. It’s about ordinary people coming together to do extraordinary things. And isn’t that what most nonprofits strive to achieve every day? Do your part this month to make the fourth annual #GivingTuesday a success. You won’t regret it.
Good luck with your efforts! We’d love to hear how you’re getting involved this year–or what you have done in years past. Comment below and let us know how your organization is getting involved in #GivingTuesday.