February 2nd is Nonprofit Day at the State House
Nonprofits matter. Scratch the surface of why people love Maine and you’ll find a strong network of nonprofit organizations delivering on their missions. Maine’s nonprofits protect the environment, care for our most vulnerable residents, support arts and culture, educate our children, develop community leaders, and sustain our spirit.
That’s why each year, at the beginning of the legislative session, we organize a day of celebration and recognition of Maine’s vibrant nonprofit sector. This year, Nonprofit Day at the State house is Thursday, February 2, 2012. We invite all nonprofits to celebrate with us and we have developed fun and easy ways for staff and board members to do so. Visit our Nonprofit Day webpage and down load one of our toolkits full of ideas to:
- engage with policy makers
- raise the awareness of your nonprofit’s work
- connect with others through social media
- and much more!
Each fall we advertise for volunteers to exhibit in the State House’s Hall of Flags as part of our Nonprofit Day celebration. From the many volunteers, we must choose only twelve nonprofits who can show case the diversity of the sector. The twelve organizations selected this year represent the sector well. Some are small and some are very large; they come from many parts of the state; and they serve a very wide range of charitable purposes. We are pleased to announce the following slate of exhibitors:
- Alice James Poetry Cooperative, Inc. (Alice James Books), Farmington
- Cobscook Community Learning Center, Trescott
- Community Counseling Center, Portland
- Consumers for Affordable Health Care, Augusta
- Frannie Peabody Center, Portland
- Friends of Seguin Island Light Station, Bath
- Maine Robotics, Orono
- Mano en Mano, Milbridge
- Natural Resources Council of Maine, Augusta
- Operation Breaking Stereotypes, Orono
- Spurwink, Portland
- Trekkers, Tenants Harbor
- Maine Association of Nonprofits (MANP), Portland
Help us on February 2nd, and in the weeks and days leading up to the event, to celebrate the sector and raise the awareness of the important work you do – day in and day out!