Are you ready for #GivingTuesday?!
Entering its fifth year, #GivingTuesday is a global day of giving fueled by the power of social media and collaboration. It’s an opportunity for nonprofits across Maine to access a platform to encourage the donation of time, resources and talents to address local challenges. On November 29, join the movement to celebrate and encourage giving.
If you haven’t started planning yet, it’s not too late. With just a small effort, you can help amplify the message that anyone, anywhere can give back in a meaningful way. Your organization should absolutely be one of the many diverse partners (nonprofits, civic organizations, businesses and corporations, as well as families and individuals) that have made #GivingTuesday a global success.
Here are five quick and easy ways (promise!) to get involved with #GivingTuesday:
- Go to the official #GivingTuesday website and sign up as a partner. You’ll receive updates, event invitations and the latest graphics and tools to share. (See how easy that was?!)
- Determine what your goals and metrics for success for the next 28 days will be. From a simple campaign on social media and email to an integrated effort using all channels to reach your prospective donors, your program can match your capacity and resources. You could even get everyone in your office to post an #unselfie!
- Use the hashtag #GivingTuesday on your social media accounts whenever you share something related to your lead up to November 29. Every post, tweet, snap, ‘gram should be hashtagged. #GivingTuesday is about community and momentum and each post helps build that energy.
- Get inspired by the vast number of resources that are out there. There are toolkits, images and graphics, and even full e-books! But don’t try to review them all, there’s too much available. Just remind yourself what you decided in the second step above and only look at resources that will help you achieve those goals.
- Continue your commitment throughout the year! #GivingTuesday is so much more than one day in November. For instance, you can give a certain amount every month to a charity, pledge to volunteer every month, or launch a payroll giving program to continue to give back after December. (Or even just pledge to start your campaign earlier than one month out?!)
We urge you to take advantage of this opportunity. If you have time to scroll through your Facebook newsfeed, you have time to participate. It’s about ordinary people coming together to do extraordinary things. And isn’t that what most nonprofits strive to achieve every day? Do your part this November to make the fifth annual #GivingTuesday a success. You won’t regret it.
Good luck with your efforts! We’d love to hear how you’re getting involved this year–or what you have done in years past. Comment below and let us know how your organization is getting involved in #GivingTuesday.