Conferences + Intensives
Emerging Leaders is an interactive and innovative program that prepares younger professionals from across all sectors to serve as nonprofit board members, committee members, and/or skilled volunteers.
- Identify, recruit, and train young professionals to serve on nonprofit boards and committees, and to match them with local nonprofit organizations
- Create a network of skilled, resourceful young leaders who will establish strong and lasting relationships that are personally and professionally beneficial and founded on a shared commitment to the common good.
- Increase awareness for nonprofit agencies and professionals of the talent and knowledge of this under-utilized group
- Develop young professionals’ sustained commitment to their communities so they are more likely to remain in Maine and contribute to the economy and quality of life
“Regardless of whether you were familiar with the nonprofit sector or had served on a board, it was an empowering experience that made me (and everyone else I spoke with) feel prepared to serve in a board capacity. Beyond that, the opportunity to meet and collaborate with such an impressive group of peers was amazing and filled me with optimism for the future of local nonprofits and our community.”
-Emerging Leaders Graduate, 2016
Over three months–between September and December–the program provides leadership development training led by skilled facilitator(s), guest trainers, speakers and mentors. During the training, MANP will work to match the interests and skills of participants with the needs expressed by boards in our communities. The program has been designed with special sensitivity to the schedules of its participants, whose personal and professional commitments may provide limited flexibility. As a result, the majority of the trainings are designed so that employees do not miss a lot of time on the job. Download the full Emerging Leaders Program Overview for the 2018 class.
Thanks to the generosity of program sponsors and supporters, participants pay $950 for tuition rather than the true cost of the program (approximately $2,500 per person).
- Participants employed by MANP member and Friend organizations save an additional $100!
- Many participants find that their employers will cover some or all of this fee.
- Limited tuition assistance is available to participants from MANP member and Friend organizations. Tuition assistance can be requested as part of the online application.
Nominate or Apply to Participate
To nominate someone for the 2018 Emerging Leaders class, please complete this online nomination form.
- Note: You will need to login to your personal MANP account to complete the application. If you do not have a MANP online account, you can easily create one–membership is not required to have an online account and each individual can have his/her own account.
- For assistance, contact MANP at 207-871-1885 or MANP@NonprofitMaine.org.
Be a Nonprofit Match
By 2025, 75% of the workforce will be Millennials. Younger nonprofit board and committee members add vital diversity to nonprofit boards. They bring different perspectives, ask fresh questions, and provide new skillsets. Yet, according to BoardSource, younger leaders are often underrepresented on nonprofit boards. Emerging Leaders is focused on reversing that trend.
- Download our Emerging Leaders Program Overview for Nonprofits to learn about the commitment.
- To be considered as a nonprofit match for the 2018 class, please complete this online Nonprofit Application by April 27.
Emerging Leaders launched in 2010 as Young Emerging Leaders and was seed-funded by Norton Insurance and Financial with WEX sponsorship. The Emerging Leaders program has now matched more than 200 young professionals with more than 100 community organizations in Maine. After eight years with Lift360, the Emerging Leaders Program has moved to MANP beginning in 2018.