Unemployment Services Trust (UST)
As part of our Nonprofits First Employers Coalition, MANP has partnered with the Unemployment Services Trust (UST) since 2002 to help our members lower the cost of unemployment at their nonprofit.
Founded by nonprofits for nonprofits, UST is a grantor Trust, owned by its members, that has spent the past 30 years helping members carefully manage their claims costs through ongoing education, expert claims management, and reserve building.
501(c)(3) nonprofits have the exclusive opportunity to take advantage of a federal law that lets them opt out of the state unemployment tax and only pay the dollar-for-dollar costs of benefits paid to their former employees. The deadline to opt out is November 30th each year.
For organizations with 10 or more employees, this can mean thousands of dollars in savings.
Member Voice: “I’ve said it before and I will keep on saying it: joining UST has been one of the best decisions we’ve ever made.” -Dan Chaimowitz, Affinity
Learn if UST is a Fit for Your Organization
- Watch this 60-second video to show how other nonprofits have lowered the cost of HR
- Watch this 30-minute recorded webinar on 5 HR Mistakes Nonprofits Make
- Contact one of UST’s Unemployment Cost Advisors at (888) 249- 4788
- Fill out a complimentary Savings Evaluation
Added Value through UST
Members of UST also receive free access to several additional services to build human resources capacity and contain unemployment costs through strong HR practices.
Expert, practical human resource guidance to help you avoid costly risk and liability and save time. Get access to compensation tools, job description builders and a robust Q&A database of commonly asked HR questions. In 2015, MANP members who participate in UST accessed over $8,000 worth of HR support for free through this service!
- ThinkHR Live – A team of HR experts standing by to answer your calls by phone or email every day. Guaranteed resolution of your question within 24 hours.
- ThinkHR Learn – Web-based training solutions that ensure compliance, and reduce burden on your HR team and budget.
- ThinkHR Comply – An award-winning resource center for all of your compliance issues.
- Watch the online demo!
UST partners with CareerArc, a one-stop-shop of outplacement tools that helps nonprofits lower unemployment claims costs while establishing goodwill with former employees. Providing unlimited access to experienced, professional Career Coaches, interactive resume building, networking guides, salary negotiation tips and interview practices tools, this outplacement services provides nonprofits the knowledge they need to mitigate claims liability. An added feature is that the program can also be offered to the spouse or partner of an employee who loses their job.
Free with UST membership, this newly added service is proven to routinely reduce claims duration by 2-4 weeks or more—helping employees cut their transition time by over 73%.
- Watch the CareerArc Demo!