Nonprofit Day at the State House
We had a great day at the State House this year! The Hall of Flags was abuzz with activity and our exhibitor organizations successfully showcased their work and built relationships with legislators.
Check out this story from WABI and see pictures from the day on our Facebook page. A big THANK YOU to our exhibitors for their hard work putting together interesting and informational table displays that communicated the importance of their missions.
Remember, nonprofits matter! And advocacy is a critical piece of the effectiveness of mission-driven organizations.
2016 Nonprofit Day – January 14th, 2016
This was our 13th Annual Nonprofit Day at the State House!
Hall of Flags Celebration
We celebrated in the Hall of Flags on January 14th from 8:30am-1:00pm. Each year, we have a difficult task of selecting a slate of organizations that demonstrates the diversity of the sector through a broad range of sizes, missions and geographic service areas from the large number of great nonprofits who apply. We were so thrilled to showcase our 2016 Exhibitors:
- Alzheimers Association, Maine Chapter – Scarborough, ME
- Camp To Belong Maine – Auburn, ME
- Crisis and Counseling Centers – Augusta, ME
- Diversion Alert – Linneus, ME
- Girls on the Run – Portland, ME
- Kennebec Valley Community Action Program – Waterville, ME
- Maine Rural Partners – Farmington, ME
- Marine and Environmental Research Institute – Blue Hill, ME
- Midcoast Hunger Prevention Program – Brunswick, ME
- Milestone Foundation – Portland, ME
- OHI – Brewer, ME
- Rural Community Action Ministry– Leeds, ME
Resources to Help You Celebrate + Promote Nonprofits
Even if you couldn’t join us in Augusta, you were still an important part of this event. We created the following resources to help you increase the awareness of nonprofits and their vital contributions to Maine’s economy and way of life and strengthen your relationships with policy makers.
Tips + Templates
- Nonprofit Resource: Nonprofits are Essential VIDEO
- Nonprofit Resource: Nonprofits are Essential Video – Sample Tweets and Posts
- Nonprofit Resource: Calling Your Legislators
- Nonprofit Resource: Writing Your Legislators
- Interested in engaging the media? Email Mary Erin Casale at email@example.com for more information.
- Recorded Webinar: Legislative Testimony: How to Make it Compelling and Effective. Enhance your organization’s resources to achieve your mission, amplify your organization’s voice, and build public support for your cause.
- Recorded Webinar (free for members!): Advocacy Under the Dome. Join experienced legislative advocates, Robert Howe and Pam Cahill, for this live webinar to learn how to effectively advocate for issues that have an impact on nonprofits and those they serve, while also increasing the respect and support for the nonprofit community among elected officials, opinion leaders and the general public.
Remember, its never a bad time to spread the word via social media about the important impact of nonprofits by:
- Checking out our Nonprofit Resource: Social Media – Sample Tweets and Posts
- Using the hashtag #NonprofitsGoodforME – we’ll share your posts and tweets
- Downloading and posting the Facebook graphics below that are designed to help you show that you and your organization are part of this powerful sector.
Past Nonprofit Days
Our first Nonprofit Day at the State House was held in 2004 and we’ve been back every year since. Browse photos, event schedules, and exhibitor lists from past Nonprofit Days. Learn About Past Nonprofit Days
Learn About the Impact of Nonprofits
- Download the Adding Up Impact: Maine Nonprofits at Work, MANP’s latest report on the economic and social impact of nonprofits in Maine.
- Visit our Why Nonprofits Matter webpage.
Thank you to our 2016 Nonprofit Day sponsor: