About Our Work
Help us make sure everyone knows why.
Did you know?
- There are over 25 classifications of tax-exempt nonprofits.
- The history of tax-exemption for charitable nonprofits can be traced back through medieval England.
- Maine has over 6,000 charitable nonprofits – most of which are very small, all-volunteer organizations.
- Maine has a very small philanthropic community, and charitable giving by individuals who itemize deductions is among the lowest in the country.
- 1 in 6 Maine workers is employed by a nonprofit.
- 345,000 Maine people volunteer annually.
- Nonprofits can and should lobby within limits.
Visit these other areas of our website to learn more:
- Frequently Asked Questions About Nonprofits: We’ve compiled answers to a series of questions from “What is the nonprofit sector?” to “What is conflict of interest?”
- Nonprofit Research: We conduct regular research on the size, scope, and economic and social impact of Maine’s nonprofit community. We also keep tabs on other great research around the country. Learn about volunteering, charitable giving, nonprofit wages & benefits, and the nonprofit sector’s economic impact.
- Nonprofit Day at the State House: Learn about our annual day at the state house, designed to raise the awareness among policy makers about the rich, diverse, and essential nonprofit community.